Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Morning Cup of Plastic Joe

Everyday I come across something new I hadn't thought about that might be contributing to my toxic load. Today, I realized that no matter what kind of coffee maker I use, the piping hot brew is poured through plastic before spilling into my cup. Sounds minor, but think about how many years most of us have at least one cup of coffee every day. If you don't make it yourself and your lucky, you drink it from a cardboard cup with a PLASTIC top. Now I've strained to get organic, fair-trade coffee only to consume unknown chemicals as it comes through a plastic strainer.

Because plastic is everywhere (and truly, it is unavoidable for most of us) I have to make the extra effort to think of new ways to manage things.I happen to use a French press to save energy and because I'm infinitely impatient when it comes to my morning coffee. So I lift the plunger enough to pour the coffee without touching the plastic. If you use an automatic machine, take the top off the carafe before you pour. I don't know the chemical make-up of the plastic used in these products. It's always fairly hard. One suggestion I found was a Chemex Coffee Pot. When I get tired of lifting up the plunger, I'm going to have to try this. Hey, every little bit counts.


No comments: