Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The Joys of Home Cooking

It is important that our daughter see us create healthy, delicious meals every day in our home kitchen. To me, it is central to her childhood experience as it is the place where we share so much as a family. Gluten Free Girl and I have daughters that were born days apart and she wrote a fantastic post on this subject recently.

Aside from those benefits, is the confidence in knowing exactly what goes into our food. This is especially true for me when making special holiday meals. Sure, it's easier to run to the grocery store bakery for a cake, but there is something emotional missing from that for me. And I certainly don't know what kind of scary ingredients may have gone into it.  My general skepticism for genetically modified foods was reiterated in Food Inc. and deepened in a recently post by Dr. Mercola.

So we make choices. Mine is to show my daughter that we can express ourselves in many ways - one of them is providing food that shows our care for one another, celebrates an occasion and nourishes our bodies, all at the same time.

No comments: