Saturday, May 01, 2010

The Stink of Trash

My daughter got to see real, live cows, horses and sheep today and beautiful nearby farms. It was thrilling to see her make the connection between those animals and the illustrated ones in her books. Then we came upon the local dump. It was astonishing how big this landfill was. They once wanted to make it into a ski hill... But I guess if the average American throws out 16,000 lbs of trash every year, it's only going to get bigger. I'm trying to focus on the first part of the car ride, because the dump is disturbing.

Makes me wonder what is in the water used on those farms. And what ends up in our food.

Makes me wonder how the people who live near the dump (and there are people literally living in brand new condos across the street) tolerate the stench. And what their toxic exposure is.

Makes me wonder how I can throw out less stuff. I love the challenge of reusing and repurposing things.
How about you?

No comments: