Thursday, August 05, 2010

Heroes and How to Proceed

I've hesitated posting about this, because frankly, I'm speechless. I was incredibly fortunate to be near a conference for midwives that hosted Sandra Steingraber a few weeks ago. It was so amazing to hear her speak and meet her afterward. She is truly a warrior, doing the hard work of deciphering and then sharing news that is hard to hear. Her gifts are many, but one that sets her work apart from the rest is her ability to present science in a way that is poetic. Those of us who have to work hard to digest the science are relieved that her books have a poetry that makes the science palatable.

I hope you will check out the updated version of her book, Living Downstream as well as the documentary film just released based on the film. Her story is intriguing and her continued work in this area courageous. What I learned from her has changed my life for the better and undoubtedly that of my child.

With this amazing experience comes the question of how to proceed. I feel a true responsibility to share information about everyday toxic exposure with mothers especially. It is a difficult topic that many do not want to hear. And I don't blame them. Much would be easier if I knew less than I know. But I've come to know it for a reason. So how do I move forward? How do I reach those women planning to become pregnant, at least planting a seed of what they may want to be aware of as they embark on the incredible journey towards parenthood?

No comments: