Wednesday, May 12, 2010

At least the President's Cancer Panel report is generating some conversation. I was pleased to hear Sandra Steingraber brought into that discussion today on Tom Ashbrook's program, On Point.  I particularly liked the reference to lawn and landscape treatments made by a caller who said in part, that our neighbors to the north have outlawed most chemical lawn care. I'm excited to see this new documentary as well based on Steingraber's book, Living Downstream. Take a listen. I'll post more media as I find it.

Here's another from earlier this week. Brian Lehrer on wnyc is one of my favorite public radio personalities. I wish he had pressed the American Cancer Society representative further. No one seems to be asking this doctor how the frequently sited risk factors (obesity, smoking, poor nutrition, etc.) may INTERCONNECT with the issues raised in the report. They are not competing and he seems to react as if the report is a threat of some kind. He argues on about scientific evidence - Let's be clear. No one expects a straight line to be drawn between one chemical and one cancer. I don't believe it works that way and am not about to hold my breath for "evidence" (especially evidence that will likely be suppressed or manipulated by whatever industry it exposes.)

Yes, 30% of cancers may have some relationship to smoking, but what about the other 70%? Maybe no one wants to talk about it because they think it places blame on the victim if causation can be determined.   Perhaps, but I'd rather have the information available so I can make as many choices as possible to bob and weave between the toxins.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping to make a fundraiser this weekend for a young mother of two suffering with melanoma to help her pay for her treatment. Pray for her. And pray for her children.

1 comment:

adena said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like we have a lot in common (altho you are a lot younger than me LOL). I look forward to reading more!