Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Reel Workout

Continuing on the issue of lawn care, you know if you've read previous posts that I recently moved from an urban area to a suburban area with a giant lawn. Having had limited lawn care experience from childhood, I underestimated the amount of time, energy and money that goes into lawn care. It's complicated by not having a lot of time away from my toddler. I simply don't want to put her in the way of stinky exhaust and it makes me nervous to run a power mower with her anywhere nearby. And my ears ring afterward.

So I bought this at a tag sale. I'm still working out the kinks, figuring out how to sharpen it, adjust the blades, etc. I don't think it's that much more of a workout than our power push mower. And I'm surprised at how well it cuts, even before being sharpened.

There is a new interest in these reel mowers, presumably because of increased eco-awareness but also to eliminate the gas and oil expenses (not to mention engine repairs).

There is no engine noise to bother my ears or my neighbors. I'll be able to help with the lawn even as I think about another pregnancy. And I'm told they allow for a healthier lawn. It just gets better and better.

No comments: